Saturday, December 22, 2007

Jeana's Balls of Magical Goodness

I think sometimes Ben wishes Jeana lived at our house. One reason is her homemade bread. Another is her awesome dinners - you can count on them to be good. And the most recent reason is her Oreo Balls of Magical Goodness aka Oreo Truffles.

Jeana and I went visiting teaching the other day and she made them to take along. They were really yummy and I thought everyone should know about such an awesome treat, especially around the holidays.

The ingredients are:
1 package of Oreos
1 8oz. block of cream cheese, softened
chocolate - milk, dark, or white

Put the Oreos in the food processor until they are fine crumbs. Add the softened cream cheese and mix until fully combined.

Refrigerate for about an hour. Then roll into balls and place them on a wax paper covered cookies sheet. Freeze the balls for another hour or so and then dip them in melted chocolate.

I tried a few chocolates - milk, semi-sweet, and dark. Jeana used Bakers chocolate. After she dipped them the first time, she froze them until the chocolate hardened and then dipped them again. So they had a lot more chocolate and were harder. I just dipped them once and then I put little chocolate stripes on them. You just have to put some chocolate chips in a Ziploc bag and melt them in warm water. Then, you cut a tiny hole in the corner and drizzle the chocolate on the balls.

Aside from using different kinds of chocolate, you can use different kinds of Oreo's. My favorite were mint Oreos, but I also tried peanut butter. They would also be cute with plain Oreos and white chocolate with dark or milk chocolate stripes.

My other favorite holiday treat was a sugar cookie with yummy fruit filling. Click here for the recipe. Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

Scott said...

I think Jeana's magic is that she used Saran Wrap instead of wax paper because we didn't have any wax paper.

jeana said...

I'm so flattered! I think the Harman's are my favorite people this week. You have been extremely complimentary (snowflakes, hair, oreo balls). After you told me that Ben said you needed more balls, I really wanted to make some more before you left, but I decided to take a shower instead. Sorry. Quick correction: I freeze the balls before dipping them - so just after combining the oreos and cream cheese. Then, I dip them and by the time I've dipped them all, the first ones are ready for their second dipping. Have fun in AZ and NM. We'll miss you!
Jeana

Marco said...

Yummmmm! When you say you've tried peanut butter, does that mean peanut butter Oreos? Does such a thing exist? Or is it like, Nutter Butters instead of Oreos?