Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mothers

When I was little I thought my mom could do anything. Literally anything. If there was a test at school that I didn't want to take, I really frustrated me that she couldn't make it go away. When I got cut from the volleyball team, it didn't seem right that she couldn't fix it. I thought she had control of the whole world - like she was some sort of super hero.

She was just the best. Even as a teenager I still thought she was pretty awesome and I wasn't ever embarrassed by her.

My mom has an ability to tell if someone is a creep or not. She was always right - you should all take her on your first dates to save yourself some time.

I remember when I was little and I got croup. Eventually we ended up at the ER because my throat was so constricted - I thought I was was gonna die. The doctor administered a breathing treatment, and I was better. After that, my parents always knew what to do when I got croup. I remember thinking and seriously worrying about who would take care of me when I got married if I got sick. What man would ever be as smart as my parents? What would I ever do without them in the middle of the night? Who besides my dad would take the time to build a little foil extension on my humidifier so the steam would go right to my face. Who would think to check on me in the night? I honestly worried about these things at the ripe old age of 9 or 10.

Thanks to my parents, I learned how to be more self-sufficient. I learned how to take care of my own croupy cough. I learned responsibility, a good work ethic, to take pride in my home and family. I learned how to love unconditionally, to be sensitive, and how to be patient.

I only hope that my own boys will look up at me as a super hero of their own. I hope they see me as someone to help them achieve their dreams, take their hurts away, and love them no matter what.

The other day Lucas asked me how I got so smart. I'm pretty sure I learned everything from my own Mom.

So, on this Mother's Day, thank you Mom for being so wonderful. For working your whole life to make your kids' and their kids' lives better. Thank you for feeling sorry for me even when I was faking, for always making me feel special, for not disowning me when I was a teenager, and for teaching me how to be a mother. Thanks for marrying Dad so I could be raised by a good man. Thank you for being there when Lucas and Evan were born. I don't know what I would have done without you.

Oh, and thanks for teaching me to make a killer batch of toffee. Some day it will get us on Oprah, I'm sure.
Happy Mother's Day!
Love, Suzy

No comments: